Among the single oils doTERRA offers currently, 37 are safe for internal use. Using the oils for internal purposes means that you go beyond putting them on your skin to ingest them for their specific benefits to various organs or cells. There are several ways to take oils internally; you can cook with the oils, take them in beverages, or put them in a veggie capsule to swallow.
Using oils internally is a method that is best used only when you have specific area of concern that can only be met by ingesting the essential oil. Keep in mind that you only need a drop or two at a time to reap the benefits of the oil. For example, supporting healthy digestion is a benefit that comes from taking Ginger internally.
Below we have outlined some of the main reasons why you would use an essential oil internally, and which oils are specifically meant for that purpose.
- To support the immune system and its function.* The immune system is our number one defense against outside threats. Many oils are good for maintaining your immune system when taken internally. These oils include Cassia, Cilantro (which also supports the response of the immune system), Cinnamon Bark, Clove, Copaiba, Frankincense, Helichrysum, Lime, Marjoram, Melissa, Myrrh, Oregano, Roman Chamomile, Tangerine, Thyme, Vetiver, and Wild Orange.
- For supporting the health of the respiratory system.* Some of the oils in this category may surprise you a little, but their internal benefits clearly include helping the respiratory system for a variety of reasons. On the list are Black Pepper, Cardamom, Copaiba, Fennel, Lemon, Lime, Myrrh, Oregano, Peppermint, Rosemary, and Thyme. Of these, both Peppermint and Cardamom help with clear breathing.* Black Pepper and Lemon help the respiratory system particularly when seasonal threats are high.*
- To obtain antioxidants to protect against free radical damage.* Free radicals are harmful molecules created as your body breaks down food or by being exposed to tobacco smoke and radiation. Once in your body, free radicals can wreak havoc on your cells. The antioxidants found in the following oils may help to protect your cells:* Black Pepper, Copaiba, Juniper Berry, Lime, Oregano, Petitgrain, Wild Orange, Ylang Ylang.
- To aid in the normal digestive process.* Our digestive systems serve us by taking in nutrients, eliminating waste, and absorbing and using the nutrients we eat. The digestive system is constantly at work for us, and the following oils help keep it functioning normally: Black Pepper, Cardamom, Cassia, Cilantro, Copaiba, Coriander, Frankincense, Ginger, Lemon, Lemongrass, and Tangerine.
- May help ease indigestion or an occasional upset stomach.* Everyone faces digestive issues at times. But, with essential oils, you have the power to combat indigestion or even an upset stomach. Oils like Cardamom help with indigestion, while Ginger (also helps with gas and bloating), and Spearmint can aid in case of nausea or upset stomach.* Interestingly, Myrrh when taken with honey and water can also help ease the stomach.*
- Supports the cardiovascular system.* It is very beneficial to your health to take good care of your cardiovascular system. As you may remember from school, the cardiovascular system is responsible for transporting oxygen, nutrients, hormones, and cellular waste throughout your body. The engine of it all is the heart, the body’s hardest working organ. Even when you’re resting it pumps over five liters of blood through your body every minute. Oils that can help include Bergamot, Cinnamon Bark, Clove, Marjoram, Thyme, Lime, and Helichrysum. More specifically, Black Pepper, Cinnamon Bark, Clove, Fennel, and Thyme all help assist in healthy circulation as well.
- To provide cleansing to internal bodily systems.* Sometimes the body just needs to cleanse and renew. Oils to include in your next cleansing smoothie or tea include Cilantro, Helichrysum, Juniper Berry, Lemon, Thyme (specifically for the gastrointestinal and digestive systems), and Wild Orange.
- Calms or supports the nervous system.* From your brain to your nerves, the nervous system is complex, but taking care of it doesn’t need to be. In addition to getting good sleep, providing vital nutrients, and getting exercise, essential oils can help support the nervous system. These supporting oils are Bergamot, Copaiba, Helichrysum, and Marjoram. Oils that are calming to the nervous system are Cilantro, Clary Sage, Copaiba, Lavender, and Petitgrain.*
Although these are some of the main reasons to take oils internally, there are many more reasons. What follows here is a list of any unique uses essential oils possess when used internally. In cases where there are recipes, we have also linked you to them to give you more options in consuming each oil.
- Supports gastrointestinal health.* (If you’ve ever wondered how the digestive system differs from the gastrointestinal system, the gastrointestinal tract is the path that food travels, while the digestive system is a broader term that includes other structures like the pancreas and gall bladder.)
- Provides soothing relief during menstrual cycle*
- Raw Rainbow Salad with Fresh Tomato-Basil Dressing
- Basil Spinach Pesto
- Fresh Garden Chowder
- Supports healthy blood sugar levels already in the normal range*
- Supports healthy metabolic function*
- Supports healthy blood sugar levels already in the normal range*
- Breakfast Granola Cups
- Helps maintain healthy liver function*
- Take two drops to support gastrointestinal health and function*
- Carrot Salad
- Promotes a healthy metabolism*
- Promotes cellular health*
- Helps fight sweet tooth cravings*
- Relieves monthly discomfort during menstruation*
- Maintains healthy cellular function*
- Take two drops to support healthy blood sugar levels already in normal range*
- Supports a healthy urinary tract*
- Supports healthy cellular function and cellular health overall*
- Supports healthy liver function*
- Supports the healthy functioning of the kidneys and urinary tract.*
- Reduces anxious feelings and promote a peaceful sleep*
- Lavender-Blueberry-Banana-Coconut Ice Cream Shake
- Hot Cocoa
- When combined with Peppermint, it helps support healthy gastrointestinal function*
- Coconut Lemongrass Red Lentil Soup
- Take two drops to promote healthy cholesterol levels already in normal range*
- Supports liver, and cognitive health*
- Helps to relax the musculoskeletal system and relieve tension*
- Helps promote restful sleep*
- Take two drops to help soothe the systems of the body*
- Helps reduce occasional fatigue and feelings of nervous tension*
- Combine with Lavender in a veggie capsule to help reduce stress*
- Rosemary Dinner Rolls
- Rosemary Lemon Hummus
Video disabled by your privacy settings
*These statements have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration. This product is not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.