Benefits of a Sugar Detox
Have you ever wanted to do a sugar detox? Do you ever feel weighed down by too many treats, a not-so-healthy diet, or just too much processed food? If you want to go off of sugar, you might try a week-long, 10-day, or month-long sugar detox first, instead trying to quit cold turkey.
So, what are the benefits of a sugar detox? Depending on what types of sugar we consume in our regular diet, our sugar intake can have a major impact on how we feel from day to day. In today’s world, so many foods and drinks contain added sugars—we often don’t even realize how much sugar we are consuming. In addition to added sugars sneaking into some of our regular foods, we also have endless access to sugary candy, treats, desserts, and more. If we aren’t careful, we can get carried away and end up eating an unhealthy amount of sugar on a regular basis. Research has shown several negative effects of sugar consumption and reveals that too much sugar can have a serious impact on our health.
Because of the impact sugar has on the body, there are many sugar detox benefits that can help you to look and feel better.
Here are some benefits to going off sugar:
- Clear, younger-looking skin
- It is easier to lose weight when you aren’t consuming empty sugar calories
- Less cavities, more protection for your teeth
- Improved energy. No spikes in blood sugar mean no sugar crash
- Stronger immune system (sugar can weaken immunity)
- Less sugar cravings over time
- A sugar detox restores balance to the body, helping you feel better overall
- Improved sleep
- Fewer mood swings
- Decreased risk for various chronic diseases
- Less day-to-day aches and pains, decreased levels of chronic inflammation
What Does a Sugar Detox Do?
Change starts in the brain. Sugar is the most readily available source of energy for our bodies and our brain, so when we consume it, it actually triggers the release of dopamine and serotonin—telling us to eat more. This trigger also causes our memory centers in the brain to remember that consuming sugar provides energy and makes us feel good. If you find yourself constantly having sugar cravings, it is thanks to those “feel good” neurotransmitters in the brain.
Some people ask, “What are the side effects of a sugar detox?” Quitting sugar cold turkey may initially cause withdrawal-like symptoms: intense cravings, lethargy, brain fog, dizziness, nausea, general digestive discomfort, and even emotional despair. Eventually, the brain will adapt and no longer crave the “rush” that comes from consuming sugar. This process is progressive and may take several weeks before the cravings totally subside and you start experiencing the benefits above.
How to do a Sugar Detox with Essential Oils
To effectively remove sugar from your diet and complete a sugar detox, you’ll need a little help. Did you know that some essential oils can be used to add flavor to your food and drinks? And some essential oils can even help fight of sweet tooth cravings.* We’ve compiled some of the best essential oils for a sugar detox to help you stick to your goals and successfully go off sugar.
Here are a few ways that essential oils can help with your sugar detox:
- Flavor your food with essential oils. People often ask, “What can I eat on a sugar detox?” When you are trying to flush sugar out of your body, it will be important to make sure you are cutting out sugary desserts, sugary drinks, and reading labels to help you avoid processed snacks or foods where added sugars might be lurking.
In addition to avoiding sugar-packed foods, you’ll want to make sure you are eating nutrient-rich foods like fruits and vegetables. If you find yourself craving your favorite sugary treats, consider adding an extra kick to your meals by using essential oils in your cooking. Here are a few healthy essential oil recipes to try during your sugar detox to give your food the flavor you crave:
Parsley Basil Steak
Blackened Salmon with Mango Salsa
Vegetarian Black Bean Burgers
- Plan your snacks. Eating foods that are rich in nutrients will help you to feel fuller and hopefully keep you from longing for sugar. However, one of the hardest parts of a sugar detox is finding sugar-free snacks. Even things like crackers, granola bars, and other packaged snacks that seem harmless can be packed with added sugar. If you usually turn to sugary snacks throughout the day, you’ll need to plan ahead and make a few sugar-free snacks each day to stay on track with your detox. Here are a few healthy snacks with essential oils that are perfect for your sugar detox:
Wild Orange Power Bites
Pineapple Nectarine Salsa
Kale Chips with Lemon Oil
- Stay Hydrated. Whether you are a fan of juice, sports drinks, soda, or other sugary drinks, you might find yourself craving these beverages during your sugar detox. One of the best things you can do during a sugar detox, and in general, is to stay hydrated. Make sure you are drinking plenty of water throughout the day, and double check to ensure that none of the beverages you consume include sugar.
Hydration is key for a healthy body, plus drinking enough water everyday will help you to feel less hungry. If you are missing your sugary drinks, try infusing your water with essential oils. Oils like Grapefruit oil, Lemon oil, and Wild Orange oil, make a great addition to water when you want a fruity blast of flavor. Also, adding a drop of Fennel oil to your water can help you fight sweet tooth cravings.*
You can even make these fun essential oil ice cubes to add some fruit and flavor to your water.
- Replace your treats or drinks with a healthy alternative. When you go off sugar, you’ll probably miss some of your regular treats and drinks. In addition to planning your snacks and eating healthy sugar-free meals, you’ll want to find some healthy alternatives to your go-to snacks and drinks.
Here are some ideas for healthy snacks and drinks to try during your sugar detox:
Pitaya Smoothie Bowl
Tangerine Paradise Punch
Spring Detox Juice
*These statements have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration. This product is not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.
Stay healthy friends,